Even though we officially celebrate the arrival of a new calendar year at midnight on December 31st, the day after Labour Day has always felt like a new year to me. It stems, of course, from that “back to school” feeling when books and teachers and friends were all shiny and new.
I’ve been out of school for decades but that New Year feeling persists and I also see it in many of my clients. August is a big vacation month but when September rolls around it’s time to get back to business. In the coming week four clients have booked sessions to tune up their presentation skills.
It got me thinking that maybe now would be a good time for some Presentation New Year’s Resolutions;
- I resolve to use no more than 20 PowerPoint slides in a 20 minute presentation,
- I resolve that at least half my slides will be visuals with no more than five words,
- I resolve to tell a story instead of spewing a stream of facts,
- I resolve to be more concerned with my audience than my own nervousness,
- I resolve to have passion and energy every time I speak.
If you follow those five resolutions, you’ll have a great New Year and your presentations will be more persuasive.